I always love it when I discover a small gems in the city that I did not know about and this Saturday I got to spend a great afternoon with my kids at one gem: a Mango plantation.
I heard of Ndoto Pole Pole Farm from some friends who had been there, but I had never really made an effort to find out more and actually visit the place. This Saturday I wanted to take my kids a place away from the city and I remembered about Ndoto Pole Pole.
Ndoto Pole Pole is a 26-hectare Mango plantation, situated in Bunju Dar es Salaam, just before entering Bagamoyo, about 19km from city center. Despite being lost and making a number of turns and to the dissatisfaction of my children, we manage to find the farm and upon arrival we were greeted with welcoming smiles and the heavenly landscape which made it all worth the time spent getting lost.
The farm is one with nature and all the décor and furnishing are made from recycled materials; wood, metal and paper. The air is fresh and praised by the sounds of singing birds. The huge Mango trees are the stars of the farm and they give a feeling a tranquility and calmness.
The farm offers a set BBQ menu with room for requests on extras upon making the reservation. The pool by the picnic area offers guests a chance to cool down in the Dar es Salaam heat after a feast of delicious BBQ and their signature fresh Mango juice made from the mangos on the plantation.
Before your trip
- You have to make a reservation and make payment via mobile money. They have a Facebook and Instagram pages. (@ndotopolepolefarm) They do not allow bringing in food or drink into the farm; if there is something specific you would like to drink or eat I would advice to request it upon making your reservation.
- If you do not know the area very well, have a map at hand or Google maps on your phone. (and do make time to get lost!)
What to pack
If you are going with children I would advice to pack the following items:
- Bathing suits, towel, and change of clothes
- Dar es Salaam is very hot, a hat and sunscreen is a must
- Mosquito repellent
- Your children’s favorite toys: water toys (for the pool), board games or colouring books, bikes or scooters and iPads for a movie or music.
For adults you would pack pretty much the same as the kids, minus the toys, although an iPad or book is ideal as you soak in the sun. Do remember to pack picnic blankets and pillows. I love my comfort therefore I made sure we had all our picnic and fun essentials.
If you want to take some time out of the city, Ndoto Pole Pole Farm is a calming place with great hospitality and delicious food.