I believe that anyone can be creative. I for one have always felt the need to paint or create things as far as I can remember. For me creativity is a process that requires passion and commitment. I love painting, DIY and writing.
Creativity is a hard thing to define, but in general terms we can define it as an act of turning something original and imaginative ideas into reality.
These days most of us live a hectic life and making time for creativity is becoming harder and harder to achieve. For those who are creative or creative enthusiasts like myself know and understand the feeling you get when you sit, pick up a brush and paint. Every stroke, every colour mix brings in a sense of calm and tranquil.
Here are a few tips that can help you kick-start your creative juices.
- Do random things – expose yourself to different random situations. Try and get yourself out of your usual activities and routines. For example you can experiment with new things like food, crafts and DIY or read different type of books than the ones you normally would.
- Just Have fun – Don’t over think what you are doing, unless it is something like baking where you have to follow a recipe. Go with with the flow, go with what your mind and heart is telling you.
- Think outside the box – sometimes you just need try to look at things from a different perspective as if you’re seeing it for the very first time.
- Make space and time: if you have a spare room at home, clear it and make it your creative space. Then make time and start creating. You can start with 30min to an 1 hour once or twice a week and then build up from there
- Be free, be curious – Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. There is no right or wrong when it comes to creativity. Allow yourself to make mistakes and enjoy the process. Be curious and enjoy the act of creation. Curiosity is important when it comes to creativity.
- Explore – go outside and surround yourself with things that inspire you. I like to read books, visiting art galleries and taking different classes. So go and visit museums, art galleries, take art or movement classes such as dance, or yoga, or go for long walks in different places. All this exploring will get you inspired and get your creative juices flowing.
- Mix with people that are different from you – Invite people into your life that don’t think like you or do things like you. You will learn from them, discover new things with them, create new perspectives and all that will make you grow as a person through your creative journey.
Just remember that creativity is not only about art, or DIY, it can be anything such as you creating movement through dance, baking, or making music just remember not to limit yourself to what you can do. I make a lot of reference to painting, DIY and writing, because it’s what I love to do. So figure out what activity gets your creative juices flowing and try to give it 30minutes of your time once or twice a week.
Here are a few places and events you can visit and attend in Dar to get some inspiration:
- The Aprils: female art group exhibitions www.theaprils.info
- Pop Up Bongo: is an event that promotes local brands and gives you all in one shopping experience. www.popupbongo.com
- Nafasi Art Space: gallery space, theatre and classes www.nafasiartspace.org
- Oasis Wine Bar & Coffee House: hosts different art and music events
- Dance Art Fusion Academy: movement classes in dance, yoga, martial arts and much more www.danceartfusion.com
- The National Museum
- Mwenge Art & Crafts Center
These are just a few that I regularly visit, there are a lot more, so go and make discoveries and share with me.