We have all had that one day at work, that felt like the longest or like things were just not working on your favor. After such a day, most us feel beat to the ground, well at least it’s how I feel when I have such a day.
Well, here are 6 ways of how I unwind after a long day.
1. Listening to music while having tea: I find listening to music can be very therapeutic. Soothing music connects to ones emotions and has good effect on the body as it helps slow down your heart rate thus reducing the stress and tension. I love listening to a variety of genre when it comes to unwinding. My current playlist includes, Bosa Nova, Zouk, Classical Jazz, House Music and of course some Bongo Flavor. And I always have a cup of tea in hand to warm my mind and body. My current favorite tea is plain Black with a hint of ginger, cardamon and some honey for my sweet tooth.
2. Taking a long hot shower or bath: Standing under a shower head and having hot water run down my back for a good 10/20 minutes feels like a light massage. The hot water helps relax my tense joints.
3. Treating myself: over the years I have learnt that it is ok to treat myself and I have been doing so time to time. I love a good manicure and pedicure or a full body scrub. For me treating myself doesn’t necessarily mean breaking my bank and feeling guilty for doing so. I treat myself within reason.
4. Reading a good book: getting lost in a book that you have been reading or a book that you have really wanted to read, is a great way to relax. I usually wrap myself up in my cozy blanket and sit in my balcony and enjoy escaping to another world page after page.
5. Yoga: Yoga is a great way to de-stress. The breathing excercies during Yoga, helps switch off my mind from work mode to off mode, where I focus on my breathing and center all my energy to my mind and body.
6.Taking a nap or sleeping early:there is nothing better than taking a nap. If you can squeeze in a quick nap (by quick I mean 30min to 40mins) then do so. I have two kids and I struggle to take naps when I need them the most. So when I get a chance to take a nap after a long day I do so without any feelings of guilt; but most of the time after such a day I would go to bed an hour or two earlier than usual; and I would wake up the next day feeling relaxed and energized ready for the day.
Hope these will work for you too!
Just remember unwinding and getting your body to relax, starts with unwinding your mind.